In the blackout following Hurricane Ike, people turned to generators for power.
On Friday, a lawsuit was filed on behalf of three people who used a generator and died in southwest Houston.
The victims included 43-year-old Kaven Randle, 29-year-old Rogers Smith, and 35-year-old Rokesha Hopkins.
Reports indicate they had placed their generator in the garage and that it filled the home with carbon monoxide.
The lawsuits state that generators should come with better warning labels.
“This has been such a big issue that the Consumer Product Safety Commission just passed and required a federal regulation that will require a specific warning on generators that says carbon monoxide is a poison. It will kill you in minutes,” said attorney Jason Gibson.
“It’s devastated the family because Kevan was so lovable by everyone. He was the compassionate one that saw the good side of everything,” said Kary Brown who is the victim’s sister.
The families’ attorney argues that the sign on the device doesn’t clearly convey that carbon monoxide emissions can kill you.
There is now a new requirement for new labels.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission says that generators killed more than 200 people in the U.S. between 2000 and 2005.